Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions
Upper Missouri Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Commission Meeting Minutes
Meeting called to order by Chairman Kubick at 7:10 p.m. Members present: Kubick, Doerk, Parchen, Fisher, Goldhahn, Stensland, Shield. Absent England. Others present: Sepich.
December 16, 2002
- Minutes. Motion made by Parchen to approve November 2002 minutes. Approved 6-0.
- Treasurer’s Report: Kubick reported a balance of $2,290.31. Kubick and Sepich plan to meet with City Controller on financial report. Kubick reported that we had received $2,000.00 remaining dues from Chouteau County, not reflected in the current balance.
- Status Report
- National - no report
- State office: Doerk reported on information from Lepley regarding legacy project. Plans are moving ahead. It appears chosen location will be the Senate Chambers at the Capitol. Kubkck felt it should be located outside, supported by Goldhahn and Parchen. Kubick stated that public access may be limited/restricted due to homeland security meaures.
- National Conference. Kubick stated commission members need to participate in the conference since we are the sponsoring entity. We need to serve as room monitors and help with preparation before the event starts.
- Speakers Bureau. Doerk spoke as “Jefferson” to the Lewistown Rotary (30). Reported the word regarding Lewis & Clark is everywhere.
- Stensland reported the Chouteau County committee is submitting a grant to the State to complete the memorial groves project (botanical groves planned in ten communities). Previously six sites were funded. Interpretive signage is part of all the projects. (Later in the meeting) Goldhahn made a motion, seconded by Shield to submit letter of support for this grant application. Approved 7-0.
- Doerk reported that Fort Benton has formed a project team, headed by Lepley, to plan community events during “Explore! The Big Sky”.
- Old Business
- Signage project. Kubick expressed the need to get our sign list solidified and develop cost estimates for each project. We only need to prepare a sign grant application for what we can realistically expect to receive.
- Kubick requested all members complete their “conflict of interest” form.
- Kubick reported he has discussed a replacement for Martin with the Cascade County Commissioners. He suggested Dave Roehm as a possible candidate.
- Kubick asked for input regarding next year’s funding requests from the governmental entities. Stensland will discuss issue with Chouteau County.
- Appointment of Treasurer and liaison with Golden Triangle Commission were tabled until next meeting.
- New Business
- Goldhahn, Doerk, Stensland will attend Lewis & Clark kickoff at the legislature on January 18, 2003. Honor Guard will also attend. Stensland said that this will be an opportunity to contact our representatives. Kubick and others will get information/prices on nametags.
- Kubick reported State Commission conference will be February 10-11, 2003 in Helena. Goldhahn indicated an interest in attending.
- Communication: The following items were presented.
- Minutes from State Bicentennial Commission meeting on November 30, 2002.
- Letter from our Commission regarding contributing residual funds from the National Conference to our Signature Event.
- Kubick submitted grant application for signage project. A response has been received.
- Grant application to State Commission for $2,000 O&M has been submitted.
- Goldhahn has been confirmed as liaison with Lewis & Clark County Regional Commission.
- Doerk stated that our mailing list needs to use box number for Chouteau County members: Doerk 715, Stensland 205, Parchen 778.
- Stensland reported that he is pleased that the Chouteau County celebration committee has been formed.
- Doerk talked about University of Montana Professor Fritz article that referred to Missoula as the “epicenter” of Lewis & Clark activities. Doerk and Mayor Gray are preparing a humorous response saying why it should be Great Falls.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Next meeting: January 27, 2003 - Ag Museum, Fort Benton
Submitted by Jerry Sepich
Back to Upper Missouri Commission Meeting Minutes Menu
Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links
Feedback Form | Email This Page
For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!