Click here for history on the Lewis & Clark Trail.
Education
Funding

 

Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions

Welcome Commision Overview Resource Library Group & Chapter Info Resource Library Endorsement Info Montana Events What's New On The Site Help/Sitemap Related Links Related Links

Great Bend of the Yellowstone Lewis & Clark Heritage Regional Bicentennial Commission Meeting Minutes
320 N. Main
Livingston, Montana
October 6, 2003

Attending: Sandra Cahill, Dick Baerman, Diana Seider, Penny Carpenter.

Minutes: Minutes approved from last two meetings.

Financial report: discussed expenses to go to State Conference. Voted to contact Amy Baird in Helena on the $150 maximum and ask to fund mileage in addition. Penny will do this.

In-Kind sheets: turn in next meeting.

Old Business:

Agenda: #1. Driving Tour signs- no word yet (Call came the next day and our signs are being shipped now! Yea! )

#2. CTEP funds- no report as Jackie absent.

#3. Quilt project fund raiser- Penny and Suzanne Brown met and her group has some interest. Penny will attend 10/28 meeting. Sandra has friend who wants to help so took one block pattern for her at Conference. Penny will make colored photos of the book for each helper.

#4. Statue project- At Conference we found a Native American woman who wants to help as a jury member, Latonna Old Elk, and she is an art person--used to run a gallery. She is the tourism person at the Crow College. Yea!! Diana confirmed that we can hold the jury time at the Depot....October 16th, Thurs, 1:00 pm. We are getting LOTS of calls & letters from artists. She also reported on the response from the Depot Foundation Board as the letter was not at the meeting. They turned us down on 3 reasons mainly: they felt it would be better placed where there would be a "view" of the river nearby, such as Sacajawea Park; liability of the many trees and high winds and damage happening to the statue and who would be responsible?; and the risk of kids climbing, playing on it and would they be liable for injuries. All good reasons. Need to discuss other options.

#5. Bricks-no further info.

#6. M.D.T. Signs for L & C roadsigns contact is Jon Axline. Clint told everyone at Conference to contact him. Sandra offered to do so for our large Interpretive Sign on I -90.

#7. Media campaign for after 10/16. Discussed having the Enterprise and the Chronicle attend on the 30th when we chose the model/artist. Sandra will call Tom Mason and Scott McMillon. Penny will talk with David Lewis from the Montana Pioneer.

Dick Baerman will follow-up with Sharon Walker on the plea letter for possible contributors....she offered to do it for just the price of the paper. Sandra offered to print the photos of the model to include in the letters. Voted on a "parchment" style paper.

#8. Penny brought a "spread sheet" idea for us to use during the judging....can add more headings if need be. Also will take digital camera photos of all entries.

#9. Fund raiser suggestion from Ritchie Doyle at Conference was to use our great wind and host a "kite contest" in L & C theme next spring/summer.

New Business:

All of us were greatly saddened to read about Leandra Holland's death last Sat. We hope her family still publishes her book. Then we talked about hosting the program we had been planning anyway, with us reading the book and presenting it......in her honor, as a memorial, along with the period food meal lady from Four Corners. More discussion on that really started ideas rolling. It could be a BBQ cookoff as that is what Leandra had suggested to Dick last Wed. in a phone call. It would be a promotion of her book anyway. We could include the "L & C Lager" from Helena that was presented at Conference. (Even the 6-pack carrier is L & C and very beautiful!) We could sell the pint glasses (Lager), make T-shirts, have White Buffalo Lodges come with teepees, artists could show art, Pretty Good String Band could play, Captain Clark could be invited as well as other living historians....Thomas Jefferson in Helena, George Shannon in Grt Falls, Sgt. Ordway in Lewistown..etc. AND.....we could talk to the City about hooking up with the Summerfest Event and have L & C theme! for the Bicentennial. Will discuss more at next meeting when more members present and then talk to the City folks.

Sandra brought a typed "highlights" page from Conference and she and Penny reported on the event. (I'll try to get that out to everyone.)

We shared the big posters from the Commission--4 were given to us to bring back. We voted on one each to the Museums, one to the Chamber of Commerce, and one to the Middle School history class. From that ideas started coming forth on making placemats for the restaurants (tray liners too) about L & C stuff. One idea was to make them with our Driving Tour signs and locations!

Discussed the 4th panel and needing to update and put more things in there... Signature Events, Exhibit at Depot next summer, Statue donation info, etc. All more to talk about at next meeting.

Recorder, Penny Carpenter

Next meeting: Oct. 27th, Monday, 5:30 p.m.

 

 

Back

Back to Great Bend Commission Meeting Minutes Menu

 


 

Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links

 Feedback Form | Email This Page

 


 

For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
(406) 444-2694
mhslibrary@mt.gov

Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!