Click here for history on the Lewis & Clark Trail.
Education
Funding

 

Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions

Welcome Commision Overview Resource Library Group & Chapter Info Resource Library Endorsement Info Montana Events What's New On The Site Help/Sitemap Related Links Related Links

Great Bend of the Yellowstone Lewis & Clark Heritage Regional Bicentennial Commission Meeting Minutes
320 N. Main
Livingston, Montana
September 22, 2003

Attending: Sandra Cahill, Jackie Robbins, Penny Carpenter, Dale Guidi, Jeanne Marie Souvigney, Doris Whithorn, Dick Baerman.

Need to do in-kind donation sheets - Jackie passed out copies.

Minutes: Minutes had been sent out prior--some had not read them & no copy was present at meeting. Deferred approving till next meeting.

Financial report: Jackie reported she has paid bills to Becky for refreshments, High Country for Auguer, Dale for cement and Ruggles for gravel, and Sea Reach for balance of first 6 signs. Bob Raney will submit for his expenses yet.

Old Business:

Agenda items: #1. Jeanne reported that she has spoken to Laurie...she is ready to attend a mtg. here to get working on the second six Driving Tour signs. Penny received the mock-ups, made spelling corrections and one "courtesy of" correction and fed exed them back on Laurie's account number on 9/16/03.

CTEP funds- Jackie reported that there are hoops we must follow in getting our project underway for MDT requirements and we will do those. Our matching funds are ready to put with this grant.

Quilt project- Penny reported that Suzanne Brown assisted with getting all the patterns copied for each block and took the request to her group. Sounds like a few are willing to help out. Penny will attend their next mtg. on 10/28. She also purchased the sashing fabric that will tie all the blocks together so each would be finished the same. ($7.00) and will now get them cut to take to that mtg.

Statue project:- 4 of the 5 invited jurors accepted with great enthusiasm and the 5th will be out of town on the 16th. No word from Diana S. or the Depot Bd. on our request to put it in Depot Rotary Park. Dick will go back to Sharon Walker to get cost estimates on the glossy prints/and 300 letters for funding. They got sidetracked in conversation about a great "kick-off" idea for this project. The food historian, Leandra Holland, lives in Gardiner in summer and Arizona in winter but would be a great program along with period food items. We would like to pursue this but cannot afford to pay her expenses to get here from Ariz. Penny will e-mail her and ask if there would be a time she might be in our area and if she might be interested.

Dale did not have luck with Bozeman Brick as fund-raisers. We still have the Colorado company Becky found and one of the artists plans to include a connection for bricks in his bid. Will have to wait and see.

Fundraising time line: one of the artists bids that just came in had a tentative time line of 9 months from start to finish and would need 1/3 at starting/ 1/3 when foundry work begins/ and the final 1/3 on delivery. So we estimate we will need to have funds in place at least by fall of 2005 for completion by July 2006. Jackie has the data base of addresses and is still working on it.

Jury meeting with the bids/artists will be Oct 16th at 1:00 pm at the Depot unless told otherwise. Penny will notify all if there needs to be a change of location.

Dale & Penny are checking the box frequently. Sandra is fine with having packages delivered to her but Bruffy Lane is not a mail address.....UPS and Fed Ex will be okay there. She has a P.O. Box. Hopefully the Post Office folks will help us out here too. Most will probably come to the Commission P.O. box.

MDT L&C signs for our I 90 sign-hoping Clint will get an answer (and the product) and let us know.

Fall Conference: Dale cannot go now, no one from Rivers Across in Big Timber has indicated they would like to attend. Sandra & Penny for sure--have room in car for 5. Fee is $90.00 now (after 9/19). Penny had downloaded the agenda for the RBC mtg. and asked the group for input regarding: O & P grants---mandatory RBC attendance? how much to request? other concerns. Consensus was to keep amount the same and suggest more flexibility between categories for needs and "encouraged" to attend, not mandatory. Discussed what we might like to do to help with the RBC/State meeting next June if Livingston is chosen. Visits to our Big Sign, Driving Tour (first 1/2) and reception at the Museums were suggestions made. Possibly arrange a bus? More discussion after we know where it will be.

Sympathy card was sent to Jane Welch and thank-yous written to Perry and Brady Zang by Penny. Jeanne will deliver those two.

No response from Crow cultural person that Bob Raney suggested. Jackie will contact MSU and check on student from Shoshoni or Hidatsa tribes--Walter Fleming. Penny will check binder from fall conference last year on native american contacts. Looking for native american to serve on jury for selection of the statue idea.

New Business:

Doris reported she gave a speaking program on Pomp to the Globall Grannies convention at Chico and will be doing one for the Liv. Employees Credit Union.

Discussed the list of things to consider re: shipping pieces back etc. and agreed we would do that. Will have a digital camara present on the 16th for photos of each as some artists will take them with them again. Cost and dimensions of small models will be in artists proposals. Jeanne will contact Midori for help on the deductible issue...Park County eligible or not, as statue will belong to the County as we are of the County but not a sub-department. Jackie has talked with Tara about this twice and was told, "not deductible". If that's the case, we may need to be under someone else's C-3 status to qualify and then will have to pay for them to manage the financial stuff.

Media plan and awareness level--folks have read about it in the paper and one person had heard of it on the radio. Needs MUCH more exposure to proceed after 10/16.

Sandra shared about Gerard Baker leaving Corps II and coming to Montana for new job. No one really knows why we lost out on Corps II to Crow tribe.

Read letter from Billings group on their Open House. Will be meeting with them in Corridor discussions in Lewistown.

Dale Guidi reported that Dr. Harris' son, Greg, wants to attend next meeting to tell us about a scholarship in his Dad's estate. It will be awarded by competion in essay form on the medical aspect of the Expedition. More on this next mtg.

Decided to develop a "spread sheet" to have with us on the 16th to keep track of all the components possible with the bids. Penny offered to play with this idea and make a large sheet to use that day.

Due to Collumbus Day holiday on 10/13 we agreed to move the meeting ahead one week to Oct 6th, Monday, 5:30 p.m.

Livingston Enterprise still getting meeting notices wrong. Penny will call them again (third time!).

Penny Carpenter, Recorder

NOTE: next meeting 10/6/03 PLEASE COME.

 

 

Back

Back to Great Bend Commission Meeting Minutes Menu

 


 

Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links

 Feedback Form | Email This Page

 


 

For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
(406) 444-2694
mhslibrary@mt.gov

Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!