Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions
Great Bend of the Yellowstone Lewis & Clark Heritage Regional Bicentennial Commission Meeting Minutes
Members present: Sandra Cahill, Brian Sparks, Len Gregory, Doris Whithorn, Charlie Rahn, Jackie Robbins, Becky Douglass, Penny Carpenter.
Rural Fire Dept. Building, 6:00 p.m.
April 22, 2002
The meeting was called to order by Sandra Cahill. The minutes had been e-mailed and mailed but hadn't been read. Agreed that minutes could be read between now and next meeting and then approved or corrected.
1. Jackie reported on Interpretive Sign: Wendy Smith can come on May 28th (Tues) for setting up the sign. 10:00 am was her suggested time. We have the permit from the Dept of Transportation and approval from the State Bicentennial Commission is here too. We discussed the problem of trash and human waste. Suggestion was made to contact Randy Taylor, Co. Sanitarian for his ideas. Penny offered to send letter to Commissioners to request a green box. Penny will also request another "clean-up" workday from the Community Service Officer, Ed Lacombe, and inmates.
Charlie added that REA was ok for the 28th. He will also let Gary Hillman know the date for sure. Ed Schilling also needs to know for assistance from Crazy Mountain Ranch hands.
We agreed to pay Wendy a second payment of $10,141.00 at this time. Balance will be paid following arrival and installation of the sign.
2. Driving Tour Sign project: Jackie reported in Jeanne's absence that they have talked to the Nat'l Park Service. Sent a photo of the signs in Gallatin County and was told they do not care for the style of that sign. Laurie Heupel from Great Falls will be coming next week to help the committee with what they want. The L & C Logo needs to be on NPS signs, required. Our timeline for this grant is the end of June. Wording for the signs is great. Good work Jeanne and comm. Anyone wishing to assist with the brochure for this tour is encouraged to e-mail or phone Jeanne.
3. Doris reported on the holders for the walking tour brochures. The lady is looking for the order and hopefully they will arrive soon for the school kids to help decorate. School is out June 7.
4. Brian reported for the comm. on the 4th Information Panel of the Interpretive Signs: They have the information the graphics designer (Lynn Crawford, Delta Signs) needs. Are meeting again this Wed, 4/24, at 3:00 pm at the Depot. Doris will be bringing photos and they will work on the layout. Cost estimate at this time is between $600 and $1200.
Becky added that the "calendar" info at the bottom of the sign can wait until Brian and committee get done.
5. Charlie, Brian and Sandra reported on the Big Timber fundraiser and how much they enjoyed the evening with dinner and "The Clark & Lewis Show." (Great job, Rivers Across L & C Committee!) It was very well attended. This show will be in Livingston at the Firehouse 5 in either July or August. Great idea to have it again in 2006 as a fundraiser for our committee? Yes!
6. Sandra showed the L & C license plate for our RBC to use in whatever way we choose to promote the Bicentennial. Think on ideas and bring to next meeting. There are 22 in all, 14 for the RBC's and 8 for the Tribal Agencies. Ours is "L & C 10".
7. Formed a sub-committee for finalizing payment to KLB: Jackie, Ed, Jeanne and will ask Ellen to assist.
8. Congratulations to Big Timber on their success with the $7,000 Grant from Challenge Cost Share Funds!! We are happy for you.
9. Continue to search for ways to keep Interpretive Sign site cleaned up. Other ideas more than welcome!
10.Sandra offered her copy of the L & C video from the Superhost group. It is very enjoyable. Also passed around a brochure regarding a river trip on the Columbia in November...see Sandra if interested.
Old Business: The information gathering questionnaire regarding Corps II was given to Ed Schilling by Sandra and Jackie now has it and was asked to have Steve Golnar (City Manager) look at it. This is information Clint asked for by June 1st for the State Commission to gather for Bernard, the coordinator of this project. Discussion ensued and consensus seemed that only the Fair Grounds area would be capable of handling this Exhibit if Livingston were chosen as a site. More discussion would be needed at the next meeting.
Next two meetings will be: May 13th, Monday, 5:30 pm and May 27th, Monday, 5:30 pm.
Please remember setting up of sign will be May 28th, 10:00am.
Recorder, Penny Carpenter
Back to Great Bend Commission Meeting Minutes Menu
Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links
Feedback Form | Email This Page
For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!