Click here for history on the Lewis & Clark Trail.
Education
Funding

 

Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions

Welcome Commision Overview Resource Library Group & Chapter Info Resource Library Endorsement Info Montana Events What's New On The Site Help/Sitemap Related Links Related Links

Great Bend of the Yellowstone Lewis & Clark Heritage Regional Bicentennial Commission Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2003

Attending: Bob Ebinger, Dick Baerman, Charlie Rahn, Becky Douglass, Penny Carpenter, Doris Whithorn, and Diana Seider

Becky called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm. Minutes had been e-mailed and hard copy mailed out but Diana had not received one. Copy made for her at this meeting. Minutes were approved.

Financial reports were reviewed as Jackie was unable to attend as she isn't feeling well. Commission Fund report dated Feb. 12, 2003 showed expenses paid and income received with balance of $5024.15. All bills related to the Kick-Off Event of 1/17/2003 are paid. Driving Tour Fund report dated March 11, 2003 shows donations and NPS grant funds with balance of $10,600.00. No expenses listed yet. O & P Grant fund report not available.

Agenda items:

A. Driving Tour: Moved and seconded to approve final draft of first six signs as received from Laurie H. Passed. The bases are here and in storage at the Chamber of Commerce building. Laurie offered to help us install them when we are ready. We received a letter from NPS Cost-Share Challenge Grant program that we were awarded $5,000.00 of our $10,000 request to produce the second six signs for the Tour, but the money is only for the "brochure portion of the project". We received a letter from 1st Interstate Bank giving us permission to use the Ralston mural (valued at $2500.00) for our project. Jackie sent it on to Laurie in Great Falls. Sandra and Penny each wrote letters to the Park Co. Commissioners requesting consideration of our Driving Tour project in the amount of $10,000 for the CTEP monies available this year. Penny also asked for $1500.00 to build a "path" to a vault toilet the DOT will provide at our Interpretive Sign west of town. Becky Douglass & Charlie Rahn attended the hearing for CTEP funds and they asked also for $10,000 for Driving Tour and $1,000 for the path. Discussed approaching the City of Livingston to consider the Driving Tour need with their CTEP funds also. Will send them a letter with request. Possibly wait and see what the County does first. We discussed sending a nice thank-you gift to Laurie for all her assistance. Penny will get the suggested idea taken care of and take it to Great Falls in April.

B. KLB not paying for work done on the 4th panel. Jackie sent her another letter.

C. Community Service Officer, Ed LaCombe, said he could have the "in-mates in lieu of jail," clean the vault toilet and pick up trash weekly. He suggested we obtain a metal can with lid and chain both to the toilet and they would also take the trash with them weekly. Park County could provide the can as that is a Park County sign. We will send a letter requesting this to the Board of Refuse and Commissioners. Becky offered to write this letter. We have been encouraged to continue to request a green box for there by member of the Refuse Board as it needs one there.

D. Sculpture committee report: Meeting was held just prior to this meeting today and the decision was to go ahead with seeking interested artists by advertising the project; follow that up with a letter of specifications to artists who respond; replace fund raising efforts such as dinners/auctions/ or dances, with presales of small statues of the proposed larger version and possibly selling donor bricks to include in the base of the project with people's names on them. That way we would have two diverse choices of helping, with one being expensive and the other not too expensive. Small statues could be in $1000 to $1500 range and the bricks could be $100. It is felt we are too small of an organization without adequate manpower or available volunteer time, to host the other events successfully.

E. Rick Graetz update: no follow-up response yet but he had said, "maybe April". We'll wait and see.

F. Corridor meeting and banners: Doris, Dick and Sandra met with Jeff & Sandra Dietz about the banners being considered for unifying the Yellowstone Corridor. They would cost $150.00 each and would have a place for the business to put their name on them (i.e. advertising). $50.00 would go to the Yellowstone Corridor Group with $25.00 of that paying for the banner. $100.00 would go to the community selling them.

Doris brought brochures for the Signature Events in Montana. The Chairmen from each of the five RBC's would make up the steering committee for the Corridor Group and they would like to have a meeting.

Other Business: Brian and Sandra are attending the Governor's Conference today and tomorrow in Helena. Doris indicated she would be able to attend the Missoula meetings, Confluence of Cultures at the end of May. Early registration deadline is April 27 and cost is $25.00 by then. Goes up to $40.00 after that date. This includes the next Regional Bicentennial Commission meeting and one of us must be there. Becky cannot attend the Nat'l. Council Meeting in Great Falls now due to wedding plans. Penny will be going on Sunday 4/13 through 4/16.

Corps II discussion deferred as Jackie has information.

Quilt fund-raising idea: Sandra has one quilter already who would like to do a square. Penny reported she is making the design to adapt it to "Clark on the Yellowstone". Diana suggested we contact the Piece by Piece quilt guild and see if they would be interested in helping.

Penny reported on the website progress...Roeby has four start-up areas but they have not met yet to get it up. (Mission statement, our stationary, Interpretive Sign and the license plate)

NOTES from Sandra:

Sandra talked with two of our three State legislators about our Commission when they held their public forum here. Penny sent all three the two-page summary of our Commission's activities and future plans.

Melody Dobson from Billings contacted Sandra and Penny about support for their sign. They are using the same artist that did ours, but not KLB. Sandra sent them a support letter. Penny suggested they include getting it reviewed by both the Mt. Historical Society and the Crow Tribe.

Mt. Historical Society is sponsoring a Students Art of Lewis & Clark. For information call Tom Cook, 444-1645 or Kristin Gallas at 444-4794 for the October show.

State Commission Interim reports are available for those who want one.

Tracy from Big Timber Chamber of Commerce called Sandra about Super Host. Her number is 931-5131.

Tent of Many Voices application form. (Was on Sandra's list but not sure what we are to do on this.)

Sandra also said, "thanks Bud, Jackie and Doris for getting the agenda and other information to this meeting."

Next meeting will be April 7th, at 5:30 pm. Need to meet 2 times per month again due to need for Driving Tour project work, meetings, etc. Thank you Charlie for arranging meetings with Rural Fire.

Recorder, Penny Carpenter

 

 

Back

Back to Great Bend Commission Meeting Minutes Menu

 


 

Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links

 Feedback Form | Email This Page

 


 

For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
(406) 444-2694
mhslibrary@mt.gov

Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!