Click here for history on the Lewis & Clark Trail.
Education
Funding

 

Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions

Welcome Commision Overview Resource Library Group & Chapter Info Resource Library Endorsement Info Montana Events What's New On The Site Help/Sitemap Related Links Related Links

Great Bend of the Yellowstone Lewis & Clark Heritage Regional Bicentennial Commission Meeting Minutes
Rural Fire Dept. Building, 6:00 p.m.
March 11, 2002

NOTE: new meeting times decided: March 25, 5:30pm; April 8, 5:30 pm; April 22, 5:30 pm.

Minutes had been mailed and read. Penny added correction as follows: Both Project grant applications for Great Bend Commission (Obelisk) and for Big Timber, Rivers Across, (Interpretive Sign) were not successful for the 2002 grant dollars.

Sandra Cahill and Becky Douglass, co-chairs present. Attendance: Charlie Rahn, Jacki Robbins, Ed Schilling, Bob Raney, Penny Carpenter, Diana Seider, Doris Whithorn, Brian Sparks.

1. Driving Tour project: Jackie reported that the BNSF RR needs a photo indicating where the sign will be on their property, near the C & P plant. She can borrow a poloroid camera from the planning office and Bob Raney or Jeanne will go along with her to do the photo. A Clyde Park landowner has built a new fence and has multiple concerns about a sign being on C.P. Road- wants a trash barrel, worried about trespassers, etc. Jackie will check with the Park Co. Road Foreman again about other options for location. Suggestions were a) Catholic cemetary, b) pullout area about 1 mi west of N 89, & c) just west of the "y" before Nead's junkyard.

Bob reported that Jeanne had sent an e-mail with L & C's comments for consideration for narrative to those interested in helping. Need to meet very soon to get these written: Bob R, Bob E, Charlie R, Jackie R, Becky Douglass all offered to help.

2. Finance report: Jackie stated the 2002 O & P grant money has arrived and has been deposited in the correct account with the County. Penny submitted claim for Dillon meeting in amount of $42.50; Gwen needs to submit hers; Jeanne needs to submit for Billings Corridor meeting. All members need to keep track of their time working, phone calls, etc for the in-kind match requirements. Please submit to Jackie.

3. Meeting set up with KLB Exhibits owner, Wendy Smith, for April 20, 2002 at 1:00 pm in the Commissioners chambers to review schematics/drawings of the panels. Discussion followed on the decreased size of the panels and how that occurred. No one seemed to know. Found in the contract agreement dated Jan, 1, 2001 size of panels was projected then to be "4 ft x 6 ft." Contract was signed on 2/12/2001.

4. Walking Tour Brochures- Becky reported she is starting to get them distributed. Others can have them too. Both museum folks requested copies. Discussed getting the plastic holders like Doris got for her coloring books. Voted to order 100 or the narrow size for now. Estimate is $50.00. Will possibly have school kids decorate them.

5. RBC meeting in June in Glasgow, who is interested? Penny & Gwen want to go and Penny can drive as Gwen drove to Dillon. Jackie, Becky, Sandra also interested. It is a day's drive. Meeting starts at 12:30 on Monday the 17th. State Commission meeting is the 18th. Anyone can go but we must have at least one rep go.

6. Murals discussion revisited: agreed it needs to be tabled until the completion of these two major projects are finished. Diana suggested we could research other funding sources after June deadlines are met, i.e. Target (store) grant as we might qualify. Doris spoke with Sara Horvath's mother regarding her interest and the underpass was suggested as a good site needing "sprucing up".

OLD BUSINESS: The "4th sign" subcommittee had met and brought a great report with historical ideas, 4 primary themes, narratives, and photos for partial long-term display, with other ideas emerging for the announcements of current activities in this panel. They had consulted Lynn Crawford from Delta Signs regarding cost estimates for a process that will resist fading and wear. May need up to $1,000.00. Voted to divide the space 2/3 and 1/3 for this approach and funds should be okay. We've paid KLB $3470.00 (looked it up in the old minutes) and still owe $18,840.00 on completion. Costs still out are materials for excavation work, rock work, and landscaping area. Lot of this is being donated.

7. Briefly discussed the Corps II information form due in to Clint by June 1st. Will be on agenda for next meeting.

8. Discussed the last meeting date changes and due to our newspaper TRIVIA Ad, we decided to keep the 4th Monday regular meeting and move the others around a bit. (See above in bold-type.)

Recorder, Penny Carpenter  

 

 

 

 

 

Back

Back to Great Bend Commission Meeting Minutes Menu

 


 

Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links

 Feedback Form | Email This Page

 


 

For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
(406) 444-2694
mhslibrary@mt.gov

Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!